HISTORY OF TWELFTH STREET CHRISTIAN CHURCH
Twelfth Street Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) had its beginning in August 1914 when a group of dedicated brothers and sisters met to formulate plans to organize the U Street Christian Church. In November of that same year, the small band of Christians moved to 502 K Street and the name was changed to Massachusetts Avenue Christian Church. The church strongly desired recognition from the membership in the "Disciple Union", the governing body of the Christian Church in the District of Columbia at that time.
Following the presentation of appropriate credentials and the subsequent granting of recognition and membership to the church, letters of introduction and a press release were made announcing the establishment of the Colored Christian Church.
Prayer, dedication, and hard work sustained the congregation as it made yet another move and another name change in 1917. The church moved to a larger site at 641 R Street and then became known as the R Street Christian Church. In July 1919, a lot on 12th Street between S and T Streets, N.W. was purchased and became -known as the site for the future home of the Christian Church. In 1924, an edifice of the Twelfth Street Christian Church was built and soon became a vital and important structure in the community.
The dream of a completed building was always uppermost in the minds of the congregation. In spite of five decades of struggle, many dashed hopes and broken dreams, this vision became a reality in 1967, when the present sanctuary was completed and dedicated.
In its 100 year history, Twelfth Street Christian Church has officially "called" eleven Senior Pastors. Reverends Robert Gooden, Dr. John F. Whitfield, Albert Anonye, Bryon Seath, Dr. George W. Jones, Booker J. Dickerson, Edward Ducree, Charles Webb, Wesley Robinson, Andrea Foster and Dr. Paul H. Saddler.